I was getting all upset over these first episodes of the season because everyone was having such a hard time getting on the crab. Because after all, isn’t that what it’s all about…catching crab.
Well there’s drama on the Bering Sea again this year with the Harris boys and the new captain of the Cornelia Marie, Derrick Ray. This week the shit hit the fan and the crew all but mutinied. Here’s my take on what up.
1. Jake Harris and Steve the engineer started the season off by totally disrespecting the captain. He blew a fuse as captains tend to do and all though it seemed as though they had worked it out I think it put a target on his back.
2. Jake is not a recovering addict. He is a dope head. The only people that might think he’s clean are those mamzy pamzy bleeding hearts that want to think good of people. Every thing he did in regard to drug allegations could have been scripted because it was classic doper.
3. Josh wants to prove something to himself about being able to run a boat but he’s no where near anything resembling a captain or business manager. He kept saying they were over budget. That is no concern of a deck hand. That is between the captain and the owner.
4. Oh yeah, the Harris boys are part owner. They each own 12 1/2%. Majority owners should be making that kind of decision.
5. Captain Derrick is serious about his job. Had the crew tried to work past it he might have loosen up. Even if he didn’t he’s the captain, not their friend or their dad.
6. All crews get upset when they don’t catch crab. But they don’t go tell the captain to hang it up. The Harris boys are just a bunch of waa waa babies.
Yep, Captain Ray was not the babysitter captain the Harris boys wanted. They’ll get a new one for opilla and we’ll see how that goes.
Meanwhile, 100 miles to the North the other boats hunt crab.